20120506

Tenugui (Japanese-style hand towels)


Tenugui (Japanese-style hand towels) are thin cloths made from cotton that is usually
30 ~ 35cm wide and 90 ~ 120cm long, they are not sewn at the bottom and are thinner than towels, so they dry quickly.
Since tenugui are very breathable and absorbent, they are ideal for the humid climate of Japan. It became wide spread in the Edo period, but even today, various designs are created featuring seasons and everyday items.

I always use them, I tie a tenugui around my head when I work at a kitchen, or I use for kitchen clothes and hand towels.

Today, I made my original Tenugui.
I designed and dyed by myself.  
I used soy milk for design, and Hibiscus tea for dyeing.

You can't really see the design it colored pale brown, but teacher (right on the pic) said that as time passes, it comes out more.
Hibiscus tea took a dye beautiful pink.
I am quite happy that I made one-of-a-kind thing !

No comments: